I thought that I would base this article around mind-set and positive thinking. I am sure that you will agree that it is much easier to be positive when things are going well, but less easy to remain positive when things are not.
However, what I have come to learn is that although we cannot change some of the events that happen in our lives (the ones that we do not have any control over), we can change our response to them. Changing our response will change how we feel about a particular situation. An example to help you understand this is that someone getting stressed whilst sitting in a traffic jam will feel much more agitated that someone remaining calm as they realise there is little that they can do in the situation.
We will know, from the different people that we have in our own lives, that some people just seem to ‘get on with it’ when things don’t go to plan (even in the face of extreme adversity, sometimes) whilst others choose to moan about every little thing that goes wrong. Which type of person do we prefer to be around? You may wish to consider also, which type of person others around you would consider you to be? Many of us sit in the middle, between the two extremes, it has to be said. However, we can develop ourselves to accept more readily the things that we are unable to change in order that we can then focus on making changes for the best in the areas where we do have control. It just needs some self-awareness and a strong desire to change. It is no use worrying about the things that we do not have any control over – although, I do appreciate, this is not always easy to remember if we have a tendency to worry about things (as I used to do myself).
Here are some tips to help you feel better when things do not go according to plan:
- Realise that it is how you react to things that create how you feel about them.
- Stop worrying about the things that you cannot change. (Worrying will not change the situation, after all and will just make you feel worse).
- Learn to be grateful for all that you have in life – try setting some affirmations to help with feeling positive for all that you have in your life.
- Work hard to make the positive changes in the areas where you do have control.
- Learn from your failures and use them to help you create future success.
Please get in touch if you think that I may be able to help you further in this area…